Saturday, October 24, 2009

I think I have the Flu, Could it be the Swine Flu? (H1N1)

If you feel like this you may have the swine flu (H1N1)...

Day 1 - starts with a tckle in your throat causing coughing
Day 2 - laryngitis can't talk
Day 3 - still hoarse and congested... Read More
Day 4 - slight fever at 100 and congested, occasional cough, bad headache, eyes on fire
Day 5 - fever at 101, overnight severe cough, bronchitis like, worse headache, body aches
Day 6 - same - higher fever at 102, got meds from DR
Day 7 - fever broke down to 100

Day 8 - much better, coughing a little
 

Get through it tips...
  • Go to the DR and get tested on Day 2, don't wait. 
    • If you have any current or previous lung conditions you may end up with pneumonia and in the hosptial.  I almost did.
  • When you have the bad deep cough, drink warm liquids and .
    • Hot green tea, honey and lemon
  • Try to sleep sitting up in a recliner.
    • I tried almost everything, but nothing worked. Not even NyQuil.
  • I took Advil for fever and aches.  
    • When fever and aches set in don't take Asprin if you are a child or young adult. The advisories state there is a risk of developing Reye's Syndrome if you take medications containing asprin.
  • Hot baths or showers often to relieve the congestion.
    • put a wrag over your head to hold in the steam
  • Drink lots of water. Non-sugary drinks or juices are good.
  • Cold wet towel on the back of your neck, helps headaches.
On the bright side, I lost 8 pounds due to most of the chest and ab exercises due to the cough and low appetite.

I hope this helps someone....

No comments:

Post a Comment