Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Water is Too Deep

Have you ever had someone tell you that they just absolutely couldn't do something, but other people can and are doing it?  I can name a few, like dancing, swimming, riding a bicycle, use a computer...and the list can go on.  I think this is deeply rooted in two things either independently or together.  They are, a lack of confidence and fear.

At work one day this past week someone said to me, "That team said it takes two hours, so that won't work for us".  Knowing that "the team" had a totally different scenario and usage, I asked, "Have you tried it yet?" and they replied "no".  I then asked "Are you going to try it to see?", and they replied "We don't think it will work, so why try?". 

As I looked at this as an outsider, I said to myself "The water is too deep!".  This team didn't know how deep the water was.  They knew how to swim but they think it was too far to go.  So I thought to myself, do they need a boat or a push, because I know the water is shallow!

After a little push and providing them with a boat, they now are at least going to try the process that takes two hours and see if it really does.  I explained to them; trying to build their confidence, what do you have to lose in this case?  You try the process without restriction to see how long it takes.  Because you don't have a restriction, do your work as normal.  If you find it doesn't take two hours and instead takes thirty minutes, you've gained insight both ways and have lost nothing.

So, if the water is too deep, find a long stick and see if you can touch the bottom.  If you can't, find a life preserver and start swimming.  If it's too far or there are sharks or alligators, find a boat and row across.

The lesson is, if you sit on the pier afraid to go into the water don't just sit there saying you can't, or you will never go anywhere or enjoy the water. 

Even if it's hard or scary, do something to make it not so hard and so scary. If you don't, you may never accomplish a thing.  Life is full of unknowns, so make them known and move on. 

Stretch all limits, and enjoy life to its fullest

No comments:

Post a Comment